City Tour Arequipa takes you to discover the main square, The cathedral, Santa Catalina Monastery, San Camilo market and La Compañía church are the most popular tourist attractions in the white city, which is surrounded by the Misti, Chachani and Pichu Picchu volcanoes.
Guided City Tour in Arequipa
A guided tour allows you to discoverthe beautiful architecture, gastronomy and nice people why Arequipa is a top destination in Peru. Called the White City, Arequipa is the second biggest city of Peru.
City Tourist Attractions in Arequipa:
Near to the Arequipa’s main square we can find 2 of the most important attractions:
1. Santuarios Andinos Museum (Museo de Santuarios Andinos):
At the Museum of Andean Sactuaries we can find the body of a young girl known as Juanita, the Ice Maiden of Ampato mountain.
Juanita was discovered in 1995 at the top of Ampato mountain. The body caused a sensation in the scientific world due to its well-preserved condition by the ice on the volcano – today it is one of the best preserved mummies in the world.
2. Santa Catalina Monastery (Monasterio de Santa Catalina):
Santa Catalina Monastery was built in 1579/1580. The monastery was expanded over the centuries until it became a city within the city, about 20000 sq./m. It is still functioning as a place of worship. At its peak, the monastery housed 450 nuns and their lay-servants, and was closed off from the city by high walls.
Arequipa is certainly a beautiful city listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site
City Tour Arequipa Itinerary:
This Arequipa Walking tour starts in the morning at 9AM or in the afternoon at 2PM. This tour takes around 4 hours and includes the guided visits to:
- Santa CatalinaMonastery
- Arequipa Main Square
- La Compañia Church
- San Camilo Market (fruits taste)
- Santuarios Andinos Museum (Juanita mummy)
- English speaking guide
- Entrance Fees to Santa Catalina Monastery and Santuarios Andinos Museum
- San Camilo market (local fruits taste)
Arequipa Fun Facts:
- The volcanos that rise behind Arequipa are more than just a beautiful
- Like Machu Picchu, Arequipa’s historic center has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its beauty and cultural value
- Arequipa’s Plaza de Armas is considered as one of the prettiest plazas in entire Peru
- The food in Arequipa is some of the best in South America
- The “white city” has beautiful bridges, Puente Bolognesi is close to the main square
- Because of its weather and friendliness of its people, Arequipa is a great place to learn spanish
- For the adrenaline lovers, the Chili River offer half day fun river rafting