City Tour Arequipa takes you to discover the second most important city in Peru, the “White City of Arequipa”, offering to visitors a guided tour to the main square, The cathedral, Santa Catalina Monastery, San Camilo market and La Compañía church are the most popular tourist attractions, which is surrounded by the Misti, Chachani and Pichu Picchu volcanoes.
This awesome city is located in southern Peru and the second most important in Peru, this stands at the foot of the Misti, Chachani and Pichu Pichu volcanoes in the highlands.
Arequipa Best Guided City Tour:
This excursion allows you to discover the beautiful Arequipa’s architecture, gastronomy and nice people why this is a top destination in Peru. Called the White City.
Is very easy to acces to Arequipa by Peru Bus, plane or train.
Near to the Arequipa’s main square we can find 2 of the most important attractions:
Santuarios Andinos Museum (Museo de Santuarios Andinos):
At the Museum of Andean Sactuaries we can find the body of a young girl known as Juanita, the Ice Maiden of Ampato mountain.
Juanita was discovered in 1995 at the top of Ampato mountain. The body caused a sensation in the scientific world due to its well-preserved condition by the ice on the volcano – today it is one of the best preserved mummies in the world.
Santa Catalina Monastery (Monasterio de Santa Catalina):
Santa Catalina Monastery was built in 1579/1580. The monastery was expanded over the centuries until it became a city within the city, about 20000 sq./m. It is still functioning as a place of worship. At its peak, the monastery housed 450 nuns and their lay-servants, and was closed off from the city by high walls.
Arequipa is certainly a beautiful city listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site
Basilica Cathedral of Arequipa
The cathedral is located in the main square. The first church was built with the city foundation in 1540.
The cathedral is also considered one of Peru’s most beautiful and famous colonial cathedrals since the Spanish conquest.
San Camilo Market
The San Camilo Market provides to locals fresh fruits, potatoes, beans, breads, cheeses, jams, guinea pigs.
The visit to this local market is a must do when you visit the “white city”. Don’t forget to taste fruits juice for tasting the authentic flavors of southern Peru.
La Compañia Church and Complex
La compañia church facade is a masterpiece of the churrigueresque style.
The altar is completely covered in gold leaf, takes the style from the Seville cathedral in Spain.
This Walking tour starts in the morning at 9AM or in the afternoon at 2PM. City Tour Arequipa takes around 4 hours and includes the guided visits to:
- Santa CatalinaMonastery
- Arequipa Main Square
- La Compañia Church
- San Camilo Market (fruits taste)
- Santuarios Andinos Museum (Juanita mummy)
- English speaking guide
- Entrance Fees to Santa Catalina Monastery and Santuarios Andinos Museum
- San Camilo market (local fruits taste)
Arequipa Fun Facts:
- The volcanos that rise behind Arequipa are more than just a beautiful
- Like Machu Picchu, Arequipa’s historic center has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its beauty and cultural value
- Arequipa’s Plaza de Armas is considered as one of the prettiest plazas in entire Peru
- The food in Arequipa is some of the best in South America
- The “white city” has beautiful bridges, Puente Bolognesi is close to the main square
- Because of its weather and friendliness of its people, Arequipa is a great place to learn spanish
- For the adrenaline lovers, the Chili River offer half day fun river rafting